How to Reset Your Laptop
Whereas refreshing a laptop resets system files to factory defaults and retains all your files and some apps, resetting not only resets system files, it gets rid of all your personal files and apps you installed. Resetting is for those times when nothing else has gotten your laptop working again. Make sure that you have exhausted other troubleshooting before resetting your computer, as it could result in lost data.
- To begin, in the Start menu, click Settings, and then click Update & Security.
- In the resulting Update & Security window, click Recovery in the left pane.
- Under Reset this PC in the right pane click Get Started.
- In the following screen, choose either Keep my Files, Remove Everything, or Restore Factory Settings.
- In the following screen, if you’re positive you want to proceed, click the Next button.
The Reset procedure is a somewhat drastic step that will remove any apps you installed and files you saved. Remember, you can back out of the Reset procedure at any time up until you hit the Reset button. Just click Cancel.