Getting over the Cause Marketing Prospects that Got Away
A lot of prospects will say no. It’s a fact of selling anything, including cause marketing. There’s a big difference between a prospect that says, “No, not right now” and “No, I can never see us ever working with your organization.” You arrive at the former by addressing as closely as you can the needs, interests, and values of the prospect.
To help deal with the prospects that got away, here is a simple formula to remember:
SW(3) = N
Translation: Some will. Some won’t. So what. Next!
This advice can be illustrated with this story about two business people on the golf course. One was older and had been successful. The other was young, just starting out and struggling with rejection. The older man counseled him to soldier on. “I’ve spent 95 percent of my life hearing people say no to me. But I’ve built a successful career on the other 5 percent that said yes.”
Building your cause marketing program is like growing a business. Like selling any business, you’ll get more than your share of no’s. The key is to keep selling, and you’ll close your 5 percent, maybe even more.
Making the numbers requires dedication to your craft, a laser-like focus on closing business, and a can-do attitude that rejection can’t undo.