How to Use the Instagram Mobile App to Create an Ad
Photo ads and video ads can be created by using the Instagram mobile app. Carousel and Stories ads must be created by using Facebook Ads Manager, Facebook Power Editor, or Instagram’s API (an area that developers use and that is beyond the scope of this book).
Here are the steps for creating a photo or video ad by using the Instagram mobile app:
- Post your photo or video with a caption, hashtags, and a location to Instagram as you normally would for a general post.
- Click the blue Promote button.
A pop-up appears, asking whether you want to Choose what you want this promotion to do.
- To follow along with this example, choose Get More Profile and website Visits.
The Create Promotion page appears.
- Tailor your campaign.
- Objective: This field displays the option you just chose, either Get More Profile and website Visits or Reach People Near an Address. You can change the objective by tapping the Objective field and choosing the other available option.
- Destination: This field displays the website currently linked to your Instagram profile page. To change this to another website or to your Instagram profile page, tap the Destination field and type the new website address or tap the other available destination. Your chosen destination will sport a blue arrow.
- Action Button: Choose a link phrase by tapping the Action Button field to display a list of call-to-action link phrases. Select a link phrase, and then tap Done.
- Audience: This field displays Automatic when Instagram chooses an audience for you. To create your own audience, tap the Audience field and then tap Create Your Own. On the next page, New Audience, name your audience, choose a location, interests, and age ranges, and decide whether you want to target men, women, or both. Then tap Done.
- Budget: Choose a budget by tapping the Budget field and selecting a total budget for your entire campaign. You can select an amount suggested by Instagram, or tap Set Your Own to choose a different amount. Instagram informs you how your budget breaks down into a daily budget based on the Duration (up next). After you’ve selected a budget, tap Done.
- Duration: Change the duration of your campaign by tapping the Duration field and selecting a suggested duration or by tapping the Set Your Own field and selecting a different duration. Then tap Done.
- After you have selected all your choices on the Create Promotion page, click Create Promotion. That’s it — pretty easy, right?