How to Draw on Your Instagram Story
One popular feature of Instagram Stories is the drawing tool. You can use your finger to draw arrows, to circle something, to write words, or to draw anything else you’d like!
Follow these steps to draw on a Story:
- Take a photo or video in Instagram Stories, or upload a photo or video there.
- Tap the pen icon at the top right of the screen.
- Tap a drawing tool, at the top of the screen.
From left to right, the tools are as follows:
- Magic marker: Draws like a fat magic marker.
- Highlighter: Draws like a highlighter and is slightly transparent.
- Neon: Draws like a neon light with an outline of the color you select.
- Eraser: Erases anything you draw. Use your finger to rub across the drawing to erase. Erasing will not affect your photo or video.
- Heart: Draws like a piece of chalk.
- Start drawing! You can use your finger or a stylus.
See what each drawing tool’s line looks like below. You can change the color or line width as follows:
- To change the color of any drawing tool (except the eraser), tap a colored circle (at the bottom of the screen).
- To change the line width, tap the circle to the left of the other colored circles, and move the slider up or down.
- When you have finished drawing, tap Done at the top right of the screen.
You can still go back and erase or add to your drawing by tapping the pen tool again.
- Share the Story by tapping Your Story; save it by tapping Save; or send it as a DM by tapping Next, selecting the recipients, and tapping Send.
When you have text that is hard to read over a busy photo or video, make the text stand out by scribbling behind it. Or, if you’d like to create a solid color background that covers the entire screen, take a photo of anything, tap the drawing tool, select a color, and then tap and hold down anywhere on the screen.