Managing Content in Salesforce Marketing Cloud’s Content Builder
Salesforce Marketing Cloud’s Content Builder enables you to perform several actions on a piece of content. One method is to use the Actions menu, which appears on the far right of the Content Builder toolbar. You use this menu when you want to move or delete multiple pieces of content at once. Select the check box on each item you want to move or delete, and then click Move or Delete on the Actions menu.
You can also use the down-arrow button on each piece of content to display a drop-down menu. This menu provides the Move and Delete actions plus a lot more. In the grid view of the content, the button appears near the bottom of the icon for the piece of content. In the list view, the button appears on the far right of the row.
The drop-down menu on a piece of content has the following options: Edit, View Properties, Share, Replace, Duplicate, and Delete.
The Edit option opens the piece of content in the editing tools for you to edit. This option is only for content you build in the builder, such as emails, templates, and content blocks. It is not available for files you upload, such as images.
The View Properties option displays a window that shows you the following details about the content:
- The file name of the content. You can change the file name here by clicking the current name and typing a new name in its place.
- The folder where the content resides. From this screen, you can move the piece of content to a different folder by clicking the current location and selecting a new location.
- Whether the content has been shared with other business units. You can also share the content from this screen by clicking the Share link.
- The ID number Marketing Cloud assigned to the content.
- The customer key. You assign this unique value to the piece of content, and then use the key to refer to the content from API scripts that you write. You can edit the customer key value here by clicking the current value and changing it.
- Tags, which are keywords that you assign to a piece of content. You can filter or search for content based on tags. You can also add tags to a piece of content from this screen by clicking the Add Item link.
- The content owner. This value defaults to the user who created or uploaded the piece of content. You can change this value by clicking the current owner and selecting a different one.
- The date and time the piece of content was last modified and by whom.
- The date and time the piece of content was created and by whom.
- The description you entered when you created or uploaded the piece of content.
- The static URL of the piece of content. You can click the Copy button to copy the URL to your clipboard so you can reference the piece of content in HTML.
If your Marketing Cloud account has multiple business units, you can use the Share option to share a piece of content with other business units. Select the Shared radio button to display the tool you use for sharing.
To share the piece of content, follow these steps:
- In the box on the left, click the business unit with which you want to share the piece of content.
- In the Permissions drop-down menu, choose a value.
You can choose All, Edit, Share, or View Only. The value you choose determines what the people in the business unit can do with this piece of content.
- If you want to make the piece of content available to other business units for only a set period, select the Set Date Restrictions check box.
A panel appears where you can choose the start date and time and the end date and time of the period when you want the content to be available to the business unit.
- Click Add.
The business unit appears in the box on the right. The box on the right contains panels for All, Edit, Share, and View Only so you can see which business units have each level of permission with this piece of content.
Select the Move option to change where you store this content in the Content Builder folder structure.
The Replace option is only for content you upload to Content Builder, such as images and video. Using this option, you can replace the file with an updated version of the same file. Any email or template that contains this content automatically displays the updated version. This option is not available for content items that you build in the builder, such as emails, templates, and content areas.
Use the Duplicate option to create a copy of the piece of content in the same folder.
Choose the Delete option to delete the piece of content permanently. Beware! If the piece of content appears in any of your emails, it will disappear from those emails.