Woodworking For Dummies
US $21.99 Add to Cart
This is a Print-on-Demand title. It will be printed specifically to fill your order. Please allow an additional 2-3 days delivery time. The book is not returnable.
You've seen a few shows on TV, and working with wood looks like it could be quite entertaining and rewarding. After all, you get to create something that you can proudly display to your friends and family. But where and how do you begin to move from expressed interest to hands-on experience?
Woodworking For Dummies shows you how your raw building materials stack up, with everything you wood need to know about hardwood, softwood, plywood, veneer wood, plain-sawn wood, rift-cut wood, quarter-sawn wood, solid wood, man-made wood, and more. This down-to-earth guide gives you the goods on how boards are made from trees and the characteristics of hardwood and softwood species, plus all the buzz on
- Gearing up with the right tools
- Putting safety first in your workshop
- Using adhesives and glue
- Working with wood joints
- Smoothing it out by sanding and filling
- Adding color with stains and paints
- Protecting your work with topcoats
Whether you want to put together a simple plywood bookcase or an incredible solid oak dining table, Woodworking For Dummies can help you get organized as you craft your plans for a piece that'll reflect your personal touch. You'll discover how to
- Measure and mark your wood
- Distinguish among saw designs
- Choose and use sharpening tools
- Hone in on hot melt glue
- Speed things up with modern frame joints
- Get down to the nitty-gritty on nails
- Apply water-based polyurethanes
This handy reference packs in essential information for the novice woodworker and some advanced tips and tricks to jumpstart any woodworker's existing skills. Includes detailed illustrations and how-to photos.