Creating Calendar Templates in Project 2002
If you’ve ever wanted to make your own time, here’s your chance. Although the base calendar templates probably cover most working situations, you may want to create your own calendar template. For example, if your project involves a telemarketing initiative and most project resources work six hours from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m., it may be useful to create a new calendar template called Telemarketing.
If you want to save some time (and time is what this is all about), start with an existing calendar template that is closest to your needs. Then modify it as you like, making changes to the working times and calendar options to make sure they’re in agreement. (Use the Change Working Time dialog box and the Calendar tab of the Options dialog box.) After you create a new calendar template, it is available for you to apply in all three calendars: Project, Task, and Resource.
Remember, the Project calendar is the basis of your entire project and, as such, should represent the most common working schedule in your project. If only some resources in your project work odd hours, change the Resource calendars, not the Project calendar.
Follow these steps to create a new calendar template:
1. Choose Tools –> Change Working Time.
The Change Working Time dialog box appears.
2. Click the New button.
The Create New Base Calendar dialog box appears.
3. In the Name box, type a name for the new calendar.
4. Either click the Create New Base Calendar option or click the Make a Copy Of option and select an existing calendar from the list.
5. Click OK to return to the Change Working Time dialog box.
Now you’ll make changes to the working time for the new calendar template.
6. Click Options.
The Options dialog box appears with the Calendar tab displayed.
7. Make changes to the start of the week or year, the start and end times for a workday, and the hour or day settings.
8. Click OK twice to save the new calendar settings.