Eating disorders require professional treatment. Do some background research on treatment, referral centers, and support groups in your area (check with your local school system, university, medical center, or mental health center for recommendations and help).

If you or someone you know is suffering from an eating disorder, look to these sources:

  • American Dietetic Association 216 W. Jackson Blvd. Chicago, IL 60606. Call 800-366-1655 for a referral to a registered dietitian in your area who specializes in eating disorders. For general questions, call 800-366-1655.

  • Anorexia Nervosa and Related Eating Disorders (ANRED) P. O. Box 5102 Eugene, OR 97405 541-344-1144. An eating disorder information clearinghouse. You can download all the information via the Internet.

  • The National Women’s Health Information Center (NWHIC) 8550 Arlington Blvd. Suite 300 Fairfax, VA 22031 A health information clearinghouse and referral service. Call 800-994-9662 (800-994-WOMAN); 888-220-5446 (TDD) Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. eastern time.

  • The National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD) Box 7 Highland Park, IL 60035 847-831-3438. Offers free eating disorder information and prevention services, hotline counseling, support groups, and referrals to healthcare professionals.