Online Test Banks
Score higher
See Online Test Banks
Learning anything is easy
Browse Online Courses
Mobile Apps
Learning on the go
Explore Mobile Apps
Dummies Store
Shop for books and more
Start Shopping

The I/O Panel of Your PC

The back panel of your PC’s tower that you plug peripherals into is called the I/O panel (see the following figure). The items you find on your PC’s I/O panel may be labeled with text, or they may be denoted with certain symbols.

Understand what’s on the I/O panel of your PC.
Understand what’s on the I/O panel of your PC.

The following list describes the items shown in the figure:

  • Keyboard: The keyboard plugs into this little hole.

  • Mouse: It’s generally the same size and shape as the keyboard connector, although this hole has a mouse icon nearby to let you know that the mouse plugs in there.

  • USB: Plug snazzy devices into these Certs-size Universal Serial Bus (USB) slots.

  • COM/Serial: PCs have at least one of these connectors.

  • Video/VGA: Your PC’s monitor can plug into this hole. The video connector is about the same size as the COM/serial connector, but it has 15 holes rather than 9.

  • SPDIF In, SPDIF Out: These connectors are used for digital audio. Special fiber optic cable is required: Audio coming into the computer plugs into the In hole; the sound the computer generates goes out the Out hole.

  • Headphones/speakers: Into this hole you plug in your PC’s external speakers or headphones, or it’s where you hook up the PC to a sound system.

  • Line In: This jack is where you plug a traditional audio-producing device (stereo, phonograph, VCR, and so on) into the PC for capturing sound.

  • Surround left/right: Also for surround sound, this is the jack into which you plug the rear left and right speakers.

  • Center/subwoofer: For a surround sound audio system, you plug the center speaker or subwoofer, or both, into this jack.

  • Microphone: The computer’s microphone plugs into this jack.

  • Modem: This is where you connect your PC’s dialup modem to the phone jack in the wall. If two phone or modem holes are on the I/O panel, the second one is for a telephone extension.

  • Network: This is where you plug in a local area network (LAN) connector or where you attach a broadband modem to the PC.

  • Printer: Older printers can plug into this connector.

  • Mini 1394: This special version of the IEEE 1394 connector is designed specifically for digital video and for connecting digital cameras.

  • IEEE 1394 (FireWire): This is another type of versatile connector, similar to USB.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Inside Sweepstakes

Win $500. Easy.