Advertisement
Online Test Banks
Score higher
See Online Test Banks
eLearning
Learning anything is easy
Browse Online Courses
Mobile Apps
Learning on the go
Explore Mobile Apps
Dummies Store
Shop for books and more
Start Shopping

How to Treat Your Dog for Poisoning

Substances toxic to dogs abound — in your house, your yard, and the world in general. If your dog ingests a poison, contact your veterinarian immediately for instructions. If you cannot reach your veterinarian, call the National Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 for help.

Substances that can be harmful to dogs include chocolate, raisins and grapes, onions, prescription and nonprescription medications for humans, antifreeze, and house and garden flowers, ferns, shrubs, and other plants.

If you know that your dog ingested the poison within the last hour, induce vomiting by pouring 1 to 3 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide into his mouth between the cheek and the back teeth. If the dog hasn’t vomited within ten minutes, repeat. Do not use hydrogen peroxide more than three times at ten-minute intervals apart.

Do not induce vomiting if the poison is unknown, corrosive, or a petroleum product or if the animal is not completely conscious.

Wash the skin if the toxin can be absorbed through the skin.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement
Advertisement

Inside Dummies.com

Dummies.com Sweepstakes

Win an iPad Mini. Enter to win now!