How to Maximize Bedroom Storage Space
The bedroom serves many functions — catching alone time, dressing, exercising, reading, sharing intimacy, watching TV, and more. Meeting all these functions within a room’s limited space — most bedrooms average a modest 10 by 12 feet — and making it dreamy can be a tough challenge.
Although storage space for clothing, shoes, accessories, and myriad other things is a necessity in any bedroom, space is usually at a premium given the limited space of most bedrooms and closets. The first step in tackling the storage issue is to analyze what you already have and compare it to what you need. Then you can figure out how to make the most of your bedroom space.
Before tackling the storage space in your bedroom, determine how much space you have and how much space you need. The following questions help you do just that:
How many of the following storage facilities do you need?
How much hanging storage do you need for coats, dresses, pants, shirts/blouses, skirts, and suits? (Measure in linear feet.)
How much shelving space do you need? (Measure the height and width of folded garments.)
How many shallow drawers (2 inches deep) and deep drawers (4 or more inches deep) do you need?
How many pairs of boots, sandals, shoes, and sneakers do you need room for?
After you’ve determined your storage needs, you can start thinking about ways to get the most out of the space you have. Try these few suggestions for maximizing storage space:
You wear only about 20 percent of all the clothing and shoes you own. The other 80 percent takes up space. Periodically weed out the out-of-date items. Charities are happy to have the power suits you wore back in the ’90s.
Use wire-shelving systems, rods hung at various heights, hooks, and shoe racks in your closets to use the space efficiently.
Use an oversized armoire or glass-fronted bookcase as a media cabinet. The drawers and shelves allow you to store clothing and other things, and your TV is out of the way and at an optimum height for viewing.
Stack a smaller chest of drawers on top of a larger chest of drawers or two. Make them look spiffy by painting them the same color and adding decorative stenciling. (Fasten the units together in the back with simple hardware and secure to the wall or floor to prevent them from tipping over, especially if you have small children.) This technique allows you to store a large amount in a small space and it looks great, too!
A hope chest provides room for storing extra blankets and look great — if you have the floor space for one.
Choose nightstands with drawers or shelves to reduce clutter.
Inspired by the beds made for ships, captain’s beds feature a drawer beneath the mattress for storage — a plus when you need more storage. They’re often used in children’s and teenagers’ rooms because they hold tons of stuff. They’re available in a range of sizes and styles. The frame’s top edge should be lower than the mattress top to prevent banging your knees when you crawl into bed.