Designing Disc Labels and Case Inserts with Roxio Label Creator
The Roxio Label Creator program in the Roxio Creator 8 Suite makes it a snap to create professional-looking disc labels, covers, booklet inserts, and jewel case inserts for the audio CDs, MP3/WMA discs, and DVD discs that you burn with various Roxio Creator programs.
You can access the Express Labeler by clicking the Create Label button in any Progress Information dialog box or by choosing Tools --> Express Labeler from the Roxio Label Creator menu bar within the Roxio Label Creator window itself.
Roxio Label Creator responds by displaying the first (of three) windows named Express Labeler - Untitled Project. In this first window, you select the type of layout(s) that you want to create by clicking the appropriate check boxes, including the following:
- Disc, to create a standard CD or DVD disc label (the default already checked whenever you open the initial Express Labeler window)
- Front, to design the front cover insert for a CD jewel case
- Booklet, to create the front and back of a booklet insert for a CD jewel case
- Back, to create to the back cover insert for a CD jewel case
- Mini Disc, to create a disc label for the smaller 3-inch diameter mini-CD (sometimes called a micro-CD)
- DVD Case to create a front, back, and spine cover insert for a DVD case
After you select all the check boxes for the layouts that you want to include in the new label project and click the Next> button, the second Express Labeler window appears. Here, you can customize the label project by doing any of the following:
- Select a Project Type: Choose between Audio Project (default) for an Audio Project, Data Project, or Video Project.
- Select Style: Click the Select Style button to open the Select Style dialog box where you can select a style that determines the background art, placement of the information on the label and inserts, and font to use.
- Edit Content: Click the Edit Content button to open the Smart Object Editor dialog box where you select what smart object information to include on the label and inserts in the label project and edit the actual contents of the selected smart objects by clicking them.
- Auto-Fill from Disc: Click the Auto-Fill from Disc button to have Express Labeler fill in the title, artist, and track list information (provided that their smart objects are selected) on the label and inserts from the audio CD or DVD that you have inserted into your computer's CD/DVD drive.
If the layout you're using for the disc label contains a disc type icon, you can select the proper icon in the Smart Object Editor dialog box by clicking the Disc Type Icon Smart Object in the list on the left side. Doing so displays a list box on the right side of the dialog box with every conceivable disc type (from cDVD Video to VCD Video RW).
If you selected more than one layout check box in the initial Express Labeler window, you can select any of those layouts in the Layout Navigation pane at the bottom of the Customize Express Labeler window. You can then modify the style for that particular layout or edit a particular Smart Object that the layout uses.
When you finish editing the elements for the different layouts in your label project, click the Next> button to proceed to the third and final, Complete the Project window. Here, you have a choice of three actions before finishing the project and closing the Express Labeler:
- Print to open the Print dialog box where you select the printer, paper, and other settings before sending the project to be printed
- Save to open the Save As Project dialog box where you can save the project as a .jwl project file so that you can reuse it if you later make more copies of the same CD or DVD disc
- Edit in Label Creator to close the Express Labeler and open the project up in Roxio Label Creator for further refinement and editing
After saving and/or printing the label project, click Finish. The Express Labeler closes (this happens automatically if you click the Edit in Label Creator button).