Dealing with Percents Greater than 100%
How to Solve Percent Problems
How to Convert from Percents to Fractions

Calculate Percentages Using Addition and Subtraction

Many real-life problems involve adding and subtracting percents. For example, percents can represent answers in polls, votes in an election, or portions of a budget, and the total often has to add up to 100%. You may also see such information organized as a pie chart. Here’s an example:

In a recent mayoral election, five candidates were on the ballot. Faber won 39% of the vote, Gustafson won 31%, Ivanovich won 18%, Dixon won 7%, Obermayer won 3%, and the remaining votes went to write-in candidates. What percentage of voters wrote in their selection?

The candidates were in a single election, so all the votes have to total 100%. The first step here is just to add up the five percentages. Then subtract that value from 100%:

39% + 31% + 18% + 7% + 3% = 98%

100% – 98% = 2%

Because 98% of voters voted for one of the five candidates, the remaining 2% wrote in their selections.

  • Add a Comment
  • Print
  • Share
blog comments powered by Disqus
How to Convert Fractions into Percents
How to Convert between Percents and Decimals
3 Types of Percent Problems
How to Calculate Interest on Top of Interest
Use the Percent Circle to Solve Percent Problems
Advertisement

Inside Dummies.com