Basic Tips for eBay Sellers
Sellers, get wise to ways to handle your eBay business. Here are some basic guidelines to live by.
- Answer all e-mail questions from prospective bidders and buyers within 24 hours and check your e-mail hourly before the close of your auctions. (It can pay off in higher last-minute bidding.) Good customer service goes a long way in promoting and building your eBay business.
- When listing a new item, research it and be sure that you know its current value and the going price.
- Before listing, weigh your item and estimate the shipping cost. Be sure to list shipping (and handling) costs in your ad whether you use a flat rate or the shipping calculator for heavier packages.
- Always see how many other sellers are selling your item and try not to have your auction close within a few hours of another.
- To encourage bidding, set the lowest possible starting bid for your item.
- Check the eBay guidelines to be sure that your item is permitted.
- Get to know the listing patterns of sellers who sell similar merchandise to yours, and try to close your auctions at different times or days.