Enjoying a Great Steak on the Mediterranean Diet
No matter what country you live in, nothing tastes as good as a perfectly cooked steak. Eat steak the Mediterranean way: smaller portion sizes and amazing fresh flavors and ingredients. Although the serving may be smaller, the taste quotient is just as high. You can make up for the smaller size by adding an amazing legume or vegetable dish.
As you slow down and enjoy your steak, you see how living the Mediterranean lifestyle offers better health and more flavor than you may have experienced with your old recipes.
Zesty Mediterranean Flank Steak
Preparation time: 30 minutes, plus marinating time
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Zest and juice of 1 lemon, plus 1 tablespoon juice
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 pounds flank steak, trimmed of excess fat
2 avocados, cubed
2 tomatoes, cubed
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together the lemon juice (minus 1 tablespoon) and zest, rosemary, garlic, 1/4 cup of the olive oil, and the sea salt in a small bowl.
- Pour the mixture over the meat in a glass dish and flip the meat to coat; cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 12 hours.
- Heat the grill over medium-high heat. Combine the avocados, tomatoes, parsley, and remaining lemon juice and olive oil. Allow the flavors to blend at room temperature while the meat cooks.
- Grill the meat for 6 to 8 minutes until it reaches the desired doneness (3 to 4 minutes on one side and 2 minutes on the other). Remove the meat from the heat and cover with foil for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- Slice the meat on the bias for serving. Season the tomato and avocado mixture with salt and pepper and divide evenly over each flank steak serving.
PER SERVING: Calories 350 (From Fat 192); Fat 21g (Saturated 7g); Cholesterol 92mg; Sodium 191mg; Carbohydrate 8g (Dietary Fiber 4g); Protein 32g.
Filet with Gremolata
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 16 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Four 5-ounce filets of steak
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1⁄3 cup gremolata
- Season the meat with the salt and pepper and allow the meat to come to room temperature.
- Heat the grill over medium heat. Cook the filets for 4 to 6 minutes on each side or until they reach the desired doneness.
- Remove the meat from the heat and cover with foil for 5 minutes. Spoon the gremolata evenly over the top of each serving and serve.
PER SERVING: Calories 361 (From Fat 234); Fat 26g (Saturated 7g); Cholesterol 88mg; Sodium 368mg; Carbohydrate 1g (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 29g.
You can find gremolatas with a variety of fresh herbs. Thyme, rosemary, oregano, and mint make great additions to this recipe.